Final Idea Choice

I have chosen the observational documentary idea on a bookshop. My reasoning behind this is that it is a subject that I am interested in and I feel it has the potential to be visually impressive. I also feel that it will pose to be more of a challenge to me as I have never done a project in such depth before, working with the general public rather than actors as I did for AS. I will also have to get filming permission from council’s etcetera which will give me an idea of what it is really like to work in the TV industry. The intended purpose of this documentary will be to look at whether independent bookshops can survive alongside chain bookstores who can offer low prices. As with any documentary it will take on some of my own personal views on the subject; however I hope to be non-bias where possible. A way to achieve this is to film only the response to questions, so that the audience are effectively being told about the bookshop as if in the format of a story. This will also allow them to develop an attachment to the interviewee allowing them to truly care what happens to them, a common technique in documentaries. The working title will be, A Bookumentary, a play on words that will also give an idea as to what the documentary is about. The establishing shot will be either of the surroundings or of the front of the bookshop, depending on whether I can get filming permission from the district council. I will also print forms for the subject to sign, so that they give me permission to use the footage. I am hoping to film an old bookshop so that they will have a great deal of antiquarian books for sale, making the overall appearance of the documentary seem as if the viewer has stepped back in time to a place without the big chain stores. Then there will be a montage of shots around the bookshop and close-up’s of the books. Cut to the owner talking about the bookshop, possibly its history. Throughout the documentary I would like to cut from the interviewee to various shots of people browsing at books and paying for things, so that we see the every day life of the bookshop and how it works. These shots will be from various angles and lengths so as to show variety in filming. Cuts back to interviewee talking about whether they think that big chain bookstores will cause the independent ones to die out. This will be the main focus point of the documentary, as it is a popular topic currently among book buyers and sellers. As the brief is only to have a five minute clip of a documentary I will have to be careful of time, and use editing to ensure that I do not overrun the time I have been given. However in a sense this benefits me as the closing shot does not have to be something significant, it could just finish on a fade to black. To ask relevant questions to the interviewee I will have to do a lot of research on bookshops and look at the history of the bookshop that I choose. I will also look at my target audience, as this will be for a niche market due to the subject. Many problems may occur when filming and I will look at all of these as well as carry out a risk assessment.

Teacher Feedback:

After pitching the idea to my tutor she felt that the idea was good and could work well if done correctly. She suggested that music be used throughout the documentary rather than just at the opening; as this stimulates both the visual and auditory senses of the viewer. I will take note of this in my final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment