Analysis of double-page spread







For the analysis of my double-page spread I bought two TV listings magazines, that featured spreads of the same topic. Both were on the new series of doctor who. I thought that this would be a good idea as it would give me a comparison between the differences and similarities that the two magazines used; TV & Satellite, and TV Times. The first thing that I noticed was that both placed the title on the left hand top corner of the page. This is because our eyes look from left to right, so the title would be the first thing that a reader sees, therefore advertising the article and product to them. Both also had a large picture dominating the right hand side of the talent in the TV programme. The colour scheme of this photo, dark blue, is used as a general colour theme. Underneath the main title, is a sub-heading telling us a little about the programme, and the article.

Both of the listings magazines used a text box in the left hand top corner above the title, the TV Times advertise their logo, which is a bold colour red, and next to this in white writing is ‘TALKS TO MATT SMITH’ they use this as advertising space, in comparison the TV & Satellite magazine uses a bold yellow text box to tell the reader what it is a ‘Cover story’ in black writing.

One element that stands out in the TV Times magazine, is that the text is broken up by red headings, telling the reader what each section of writing is about. It also draws our attention to the writing, ensuring that it captivates our interest and that we go on to read the article.

Above the article both advertise the programme in a text box, telling us genre, programme name, channel and the time that it begins. I will use this in my own work as it is important for the reader to know the details about the programme. This way, if the article interests them they will know when to watch.

When analysing both, I noticed that they each have a set colour scheme. The TV Times uses blue for the background and black, white and red for any text or text boxes. Whereas TV & Satellite uses yellow, red, white and black for text and text boxes, but the same blue for the background. Although the TV & Satellite magazine stands out to the reader, I feel that the colours are slightly overwhelming to the eye; the other is more simplistic and conventional. It would be the conventional magazine that I will follow with my own work.

A factor in the TV Times magazine that I particularly liked was the quote underneath the picture in bold white writing from the actor of the programme. I think that this gave the spread a more personal feel. It allowed the reader an insight into the mind of the actor, and spoke directly to them. Although it would possibly be the thing that we see last on the page as it is in the right hand lower corner of the page. I think that when creating my double page spread I will try to include a memorable quote from the programme, that will speak directly to my audience.

Another important feature in both magazines are the picture inserts. They are small and break up the text. All of the pictures are bordered with a white line, so that they do not merge into the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment