Evaluation- Question 4.

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

Pre-Production- In the pre-production stage of my work video hosting sites such as YouTube helped significantly. They allowed me to look at similar and previous products of what I planned to create. They also let me view old A2 projects which I could get inspiration from. The website of the location that I planned to film also aided my research and helped me to develop interview questions.

Newspaper Advertisement- To create my newspaper advertisement I used the software Adobe Photoshop, because of its highly praised photo enhancing abilities. I had never used this software before, but got to grips with it quickly watching video tutorials online. After deciding to use a photograph as the entire background I had to change the project size and image size. I changed the image size in a separate project, so that I could monitor the quality of the outcome of the image after reducing its size. I was concerned that it would affect the picture quality because of the re-sizing of the pixels, however after adjusting the options on the image size tool I found that picture quality was only minimally affected. I then transferred this image into my initial project. The other function that Photoshop was particularly helpful in was the text option. Because of its advanced nature it had many effects to toy with, when concerning the text. This allowed me to use the shadowing around the letters, allowing them to stand out, and also allowed for the independent shadow on my main title. Because of the simplistic nature of newspaper advertisements I did not use the full scope of effects and tools on Adobe Photoshop cs4. I rectified this in the creation of my double-page spread.

Double Page Spread- I also used Adobe Photoshop Cs4 when creating my double-page spread. It was in creating this that I used a greater variety of Photoshop’s features. First I made my page the size that a double-page spread would be. Then I set myself some page guidelines, so that I could see the layout of my spread. It was in this project that I relied on the idea of layering. This became significantly important in the final outcome of my project. Firstly I created a solid colour for my background, dark blue. Then I imported the images that I had taken at the shoot into the project. I imported one of the images, from the front of the location, into a separate project, and used the ellipse tool to make it circular. I did this as it in conventional for double-page spreads to use at least one circular image, breaking up the text. Because I wished to place these images over a white background I created white boxes slightly bigger than the images using the rectangle tool. I then moved the images up the layering list, so that they would be on top of the boxes. I also made adjustments to some of the picture colours using the image tool, to brighten them up a bit. I then made copies of the image of books and used the move tool to align them at the top of the page. I then created text boxes and positioned them in my desired places.

The Video- To edit my video I used the software Final Cut. I used this as a pose to IMovie, as it is a more professional programme. Using Final Cut also allowed me to progress and develop my editing skills from last year, when I used IMovie to create my project. To familiarise myself with Final Cut I watched some online tutorials. The most complicated part of the editing process was boosting the audio levels. To do this I had to open up my audio channel window and adjusting the volume slider. I also had to do this to quieten the music that I applied over the top of my interview. I kept to a basic style of editing in my project, as I found in my research, that transition edits are not commonly used. As a pose to transition edits I added many cutaways to my timeline to break up the interview. I did add a few fade effects to my shots, however did not want to use them too much. To create these transitions I just dragged the desired transition from the "Video Transitions" drop down menu in the effects tab. I also added an audio dissolve to my audio timeline to fade out the music towards the end of my documentary. I then exported the video into Quicktime.


Blogger- I uploaded all of my work onto blogger. I found this process easy; however had problems with the video upload. I had not anticipated the upload limit of 100MB and shooting in HD quality meant that my video was over 800MB. This meant that I could not upload the video in its initial format. I had to heavily compress the file to allow the upload of it onto Blogger.


In the evaluation stage I used social networking site Facebook to gain audience feedback. Social networking sites such as this are very important in the current media world, and are a good source for advertising.

To conclude I used various media technologies in the post-production and production of my project, and feel that I have acquired a vast knowledge of each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment